Saturday, May 8, 2010

Spicy Stir-fried Pumpkin with Thai Basil

It irritates me everytime I want to buy some food ( that I feel like eating ) from a shop and they happen to cook it in the way I don't like and I can't do anything but reluctantly except ! So, my simple solution is to cook it by myself..this way, I can do whatever I like and can add anything as much as I want..That's a reason why I prefer a homemade food to a store-bought one.

This pumpkin dish is the case...I'd been looking for a shop/restaurant that makes it to fit my preference but nowhere to be found, so the best way is to cook it by myself.. In my version, I use only few things to season it and the most important thing is to make sure it's spicy !  Now let's see how I normally cook the dish..

Ingredients :

Pumpkin ( I always use Japanese one cuz it's nicely sweet )

Hot / bird Thai chilies , smashed and chopped into pieces, divided

Few garlic cloves, crushed and coarsely chopped

A handful of Thai Basil ( horapa leaves )

Fish sauce, Soy sauce and Oyster sauce to season and taste

oil for frying

You may need some sugar to season if pumpkin is not that sweet

Method :

1. Heat oil in the frying pan. Add the garlic and some of the chilies to the pan and cook until fragant.

2. Add in the pumpkin along with some water and stir through. Put the lid on and leave until the pumpkin cooked ( and reached your fondness ) . Keep checking and stirring every few minutes and add more water if needed, make sure the water is not dry up and the pumpkin becomes burned.

3. When the pumpkin is cooked, season with fish sauce, soy sauce and oyster sauce to your taste. Finally, throw in the basil and the remaining chilies. Stir everything through quickly and off the heat and serve..

























    


             

No comments: