Saturday, May 8, 2010

Triple Chocolate Bread Loaf

I made 6 attempts to bake a hot milk sponge cake within last two days but unfortunately, all failed to be successful and no doubt, I was really shaken by the result !!

Consequently, I felt I need to do something to regain a self-confidence in my baking skill, so I decided to make a bread which is one of things in my comfort zone and given there would be much much less chance to fail than making a cake!

Now speaking of this chocolate bread, what inspired me to make it is David Lebovitz's chocolate bread posted on his site. In the first place, I actually intended to give his recipe a try but when I read through the recipe and found out that the dough seems too wet to deal with hands (cuz it suggests to use a dough hook or spatula ). But because I prefer making a bread with hand kneading involved ( that's why you haven't seen any no-knead bread on my blog!) which that way I could feel and tell whether the dough is ready or not.

On second thought, I decided to make it in my own way which I again used water roux method ( like I did to make my cinnamon and raisin loft ) for the bread and picked some tips from what David has provided. And a verdict?? It came out beautifully and flawlessly as expected. The bread is lightly sweet, soft..chewy and chocolatey!! A bite with chocolate bits couldn't be more perfect to me while the bread alone itself is also lovely.. Anyway, it might be too strong for kids ( my daughter has not eaten it yet while I am writing this post ) or someone who fancies sweetness, so I think that adding either more sugar or chocolate chunks would be ideal! Toast it and smear with some butter is a fabulous way to enjoy eating.. Bon appetit !

Here is my version :

285 g white strong bread flour

4 tbsp cocoa powder ( I used hershey's )

65 g caster sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

80 g dark chocolate ( 70% cocoa , lindt's), melted

7 g package of instant yeast

84 g water roux stater

90 ml lukewarm milk

35 g beaten egg

35 g butter at room temperature

85 g semi-sweet chocolate chunks

Method

1. Mix all ingredients except the butter and chocolate chunks in the bowl and using a dough hook on low speed to form a ball. Add the butter bit by bit and mix until incorporated. Increase to a low-medium speed and knead the dough unitl smooth and elastic about 15-20 minutes. ( I kneaded the dough by hands a few minutes before it's ready. ) Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1.5 - 2 hours or until doubled in volume.

2. Turn out the dough onto a working surface, gradually mix in the chocolate chunks until evenly distributed.
3. Shape the dough into the loaf. Place into a prepared loaf tin and let it rise again for 45 minutes - 1 hour.

4. Preheat the oven to 180c', brush the top of the dough with egg wash and bake for about 30 minutes until it's done ( the bottom should sound hollow when tapped ). Turn out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.
 






















Ps. this bread has been posted to yeastspotting hosted by Susan of Wildyeast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice loaf. I would love a slice with some almond butter or peanut butter.

Anonymous said...

niceeee