Monday, January 3, 2011

Spiced and Mixed Dried Fruits Rolls

After more than 10 days of being away from my kitchen and oven, I felt really really like spending some time with them and I chose to do so on the first day of the new year !

I've found these rolls in delicious magazine (Jan 2011 issue) which I bought from a newsagent's shop in Melbourne where we went for Christmas holiday...I spotted the picture while I was flipping through the magazine and once I read through the whole recipe I knew what's the first thing I'm gonna bake when I get back from holiday!

The original title is called 'Christmas Morning Crown' but since I didn't serve it on Chirstmas morning so I thought I'd rather call it differently. Hence, it became 'spiced and mixed dried fruits rolls' as you've seen !

Christmas Morning Crown (makes 9 scrolls)

1 1/2 c (225g) strong (bread flour) ( I added
7g sachet dried instant yeast
125g unsalted butter, chopped (plus extra to grease)
1/2c warm milk
1 egg, beaten
50g brown sugar
2 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
1 tsp mixed spice
1/3 c (55g) chopped mixed peel
1/3 c (55g) sultanas
1/4c (50g) glace cherries, chopped
1/2 c icing sugar, sifted
lemon juice

1. Grease a large baking tray and dust with flour.

2. Sift flour into a large bowl, add yeast and 1/2 tsp salt. Rub in 40g of the butter to form coarse breadcrumbs. Form a well in the centre and mix in the milk and egg to form a dough. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave for 1 hour in a warm place until doubled in size.

3. Meanwhile, beat remaining butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until combined. Add nuts, spice, peel, sultanas and cherries and stir to combine.

4. Punch down dough to expel air, knead briefly then roll out on a floured surface to form a 30cm x 23 cm rectangle. Spread the fruit mixture over the dough with a spatula, leaving a 2cm border along the sides. Roll up along the long side to form a log, then cut into 9 equal size pieces.

5. Place slices, cut side up, on the floured tray so it forms a circle with the slices just touching. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until slightly risen. (Once risen, you can cover the crown and chill overnight, then bring back to room temperature before baking).

6. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and bake the crown for 20 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile, mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to form an icing thin enough for drizzling, then drizzle over the slightly cooled crown. Serve warm or at room temperature.


  



























 
Ps. this post has been sent to yeastspotting hosted by Susan of Wildyeast..

No comments: