Sunday, February 19, 2012

Coffee Fudge Tart

I've found a few recipes through the past week that I wanted to give them a try during the weekend but this tart suddenly came from behind to be a winner when I spotted it the last minute before I made a decision about what to make!

I've firstly seen the tart on foodgawker before tracing to the original recipe called Kilimanjaro coffee fudge tart from the Guardian. Anyway, I made few changes to the recipe which you can see as shown below.. The tart is quite sweet even though I reduced amount of sugar in both of the pastry base and the filling, so I served it with some whipped cream to cut down some sweetness which it amazingly worked as I expected!! Seriously, this tart is a great way to enjoy coffee...

Here's what I've done..

For the pastry

175g salted butter, softened
35g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
250g plain flour


For the filling
125g butter
200g light muscovado sugar
15g instant coffee powder
90ml Kahlua liqueur
2 eggs, lightly beaten
50g self-raising flour


Method :

1. For the pastry, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and stir until fully incorporated. Add the flour and mix until the pastry forms a ball, taking care not to be too heavy-handed with the dough. Wrap the pastry in clingfilm and chill for around 20 minutes. Roll out the dough to fit the tart tin and refrigerate until needed.

2. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4 while you prepare the filling. Heat the butter, sugar and coffee together in a saucepan over a gentle heat, until melted. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and add Kahlua. Stir in the beaten eggs and then the flour. Mix until everything is well combined, smooth and glossy.

3. Pour the mixture into the chilled pastry case and bake for 20-25 minutes, checking after 20 minutes, as oven temperatures can vary. Remove from the oven and cool. Serve each piece with a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!

    




















No comments: