Monday, March 11, 2013

Blueberry Pie Bars


I normally don't stock/spare ingredients that last not long before their expiry date unless I want to make something which the recipe calls for it.. Sour cream is one of them and more often than not, it makes me feel irritated for having to throw it away without any idea of how or what to do with the leftover !

Fortunately, I've found this pie bar in time before my leftover sour cream is passing its expiry date and I
felt like winning a lottery even though I ended up having to buy some blueberries which costed more than sour cream ..what a painful success !

However, the result and outcome made me think that I did the right choice and it was really worth all of my effort..:)

The recipe ( inspired from here )

Crust & Topping


1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
115 g cold butter (cubed)

Filling

2 packs (125 g each ) fresh blueberries
1 egg
1/3 rounded cup sugar
3.5 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 cup sour cream
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla

Method :

1. Grease 8*8 inch baking dish and line with foil- set aside.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Add flour, sugar, salt & cubed butter to mixing bowl, beat until combined & crumbly.
Take 1/2 rounded cup of mixture & set aside. Take remaining mixture & firmly press into your baking dish, covering the bottom. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly brown on top.

3. While crust is baking- whisk the eggin a large bowl until frothy. Add sugar, sour cream, vanilla and flour & salt. Mix until well blened. Gently fold in blueberries. Set aside.

4. When crust is ready - remove from oven & add filling. Gently spooning over the top of the crust.
Sprinkle with remaining crust mixture you had set aside. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool before slicing and serve.



























































No comments: