Monday, January 6, 2014

A Mix of Lardy Cake & Cinnamon Rolls


While I was preparing an apple filling for the Szarlotka in the kitchen , my daughter could smell cinnamon from the dining room and shouted to ask if I was making cinnamon rolls, one of her favorite baked goods...then I shouted back to answer her question which made her come straight to the kitchen and started complaining why I didn't make something she fancies !

As a good mum but more importantly and honestly, to stop her moaning for the rest of the day , I agreed to make what she liked but with a condition that is to make it in different form which made her happy enough and left the kitchen with a big smile..:)

Truth to be told.. I've recently spotted this lardy cake on bloglovin and wanted to give it a try. And all of a sudden, it came through my mind when my daughter asked me to make cinnamon rolls , so I decided to mix and match between the two recipes to make my own version and here it comes...


The recipe for the dough is from here which is my favorite one that I always use to make cinnamon rolls. ( note : I reduced the sugar to only 30 g )

For the filling

100 g unsalted butter , softened
75 g soft dark brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
a pinch of nutmeg

a mixture of egg and milk for egg wash.

To make the filling : mix or cream everything until well combined and smooth.

To assemble the bread : Roll out the prepared dough to an oblong. Spread half of the filling on the dough. Roll up like a swiss roll and then roll out the dough again in the same action then spread the remainging filling and roll up again. Shape the dough into a round one and place in a lined and greased 7" springform round cake tin. Cover and leave to rise for about 45 minutes. Brush lightly with the eggwash and use a sharp knife to make slits accross the top. Bake in preheated oven at 190C (375F) for 30 to 35minutes. Serve warm with or without butter. ( it's nice to serve toasted with butter on the next day! )



























































 

No comments: