Sunday, March 13, 2016

Cauliflower Cheese



Cauliflower is not my favorite vegetable , thus it's not an ingredient I would normally use for my cooking. However, a friend of mine made this dish as a side dish for dinner when we visited her house a while ago and it turned out to be a big hit for the kids, especially my daughter. Consequently, she kept asking me to cook for her and I had no reason to say no !


So, this is the first time ever that I made the dish..and surprisingly, I got a very very good feedback from my tasters !!  


The recipe ( Note : I added more milk to the sauce since it's too thick )

Ingredients

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into large florets
40g/1½oz butter
40g/1½oz plain flour
400ml/14fl oz milk
1 tsp English mustard
100g/3½oz mature cheddar cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper



Method

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
Wash the cauliflower thoroughly and place in a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the cauliflower is almost tender, but still fairly firm. Tip into a colander and leave to drain.
To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium, heavy-based pan and stir in the flour. Cook over a gentle heat for one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. Return the pan to a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for two minutes, then remove from the heat.
Stir in the mustard and two thirds of the cheese and set aside. Arrange the cauliflower in and ovenproof baking dish. Carefully pour over the sauce, ensuring the cauliflower is completely covered. Scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and bubbling.
    




















No comments: